Ways to Stage Your Clients Home
By Stephanie Andre
RISMEDIA, May 28, 2010—Homeowners
looking to sell need to make sure their
homes are as prepared as possible. Home
staging is key toward that preparation.
Below are 28 key ways to stage a home:
1. Less is more - remove enough so that
there is some empty space in closets, on
shelves, and in cabinets.
2. Remove or hide all small kitchen
3. Remove all refrigerator art, family
pictures, school schedules, magnets,
4. Pack up all personal photos.
5. Remove personal necessity items from
bathroom and enclosed showers… shampoo,
toothpaste, hairbrushes, dirty towels,
6. Remove and store seasonal clothes
7. Rent a storage space. Remove all
visible storage boxes from closets and
8. Remove unneeded furniture to make
rooms look larger.
9. Remove dated or worn furnishings and
accessories. Display only updated new
10. Remember the rule, “One will do”.
When accessorizing surfaces, remember
that for staging purposes one item is
better than two or more. One vase or
clock on a fireplace mantle shows off
your home better that two or three
11. Use mirrors generously. A mirror at
the end of a long hallway makes the home
look larger and relieves any cramped
feeling. A mirror opposite the bathroom
vanity pushes walls back and makes small
12. Paint the interior of the house and
the front door.
13. Repair, paint, or wash all exterior
walls, doors, and trim.
14. Power-wash exterior concrete and
other hardscape to unify surface color.
It will make these areas look bigger.
15. Replace worn, stained carpeting and
cracked floor tiles. Be sure that any
remaining carpet, drapery or upholstery
holds absolutely no odors.
16. Wash the windows, inside and out.
Remove unnecessary screening.
17. Arrange a minimum number of towels
in bathroom racks and put out fresh
18. Inside, use fresh flowers in vases.
Decorate outside with planters and
19. Remove some furniture to open up the
rooms. A good rule of thumb, consider
eliminating half of all furniture and
20. Decorate the patio or deck with
flowerpots and enough furniture to show
that it is usable living space.
21. Furnish covered porches with small
outdoor tables and chairs to turn them
into obvious living spaces.
22. Landscape. Keep perspective in mind.
From the house, looking out, plants and
vertical elements should diminish in
size as they retreat from the house.
This elongates sightlines and visually
moves property boundaries further from
23. Air the home by opening windows and
24. No drips! Repair all plumbing,
faucets, running toilets.
25. Clean or repair/replace worn
caulking around tubs, sinks, counter
26. Deep-clean entire house, oven,
fireplace, garage, etc.
27. Enhance fireplace firebox with
candles or decorative logs.
28. Replace or supplement existing
furniture and accessories with rentals
Lowe's Customer Care (CON8) 1605 Curtis Bridge
Rd. Wilkesboro, NC 28697.
© 2010 by Lowe's®. All rights reserved. Lowe's
and the gable design are registered trades marks
of LF, LLC.
Know your score. Your first
impression to mortgage lenders will be your credit history. The websites
of the 3 major credit reporting agencies are: www.equifax.com
www.experian.com and www.transunion.com
Study your credit report and question anything that may be income.
The Kitchen in your new home is more
than a place to prepare meals. It's the center of most family activities.
It should be an easy trip from the car to the kitchen to minimize the
chore of bringing in groceries. As your agent, I will minimize the chores
of purchasing your next home and maximize your satisfaction.
If you have the opportunity to bid
on a home with multiple offers, make sure yours is the most attractive.
Too many contingencies will appear as loopholes for you to forfeit the
contract. Too few contingencies may not provide enough protection. Call me
and we will find the balance to get your offer accepted.
Newer and older homes have advantages of their own. Older homes are
typically located in more established neighborhoods and have lower
property taxes. Newer homes offer modern architecture, are easier to
maintain and are more energy efficient. Whether it's older or newer, I am
the agent for you.